Last updated September 1, 2020.
Since early March our team has been working to assemble information for artists, arts organizations, educators, and other folks who work in the arts to access as they navigate this uncertain time. If you have any resources you think should be added to this page, please email Mollie Flanagan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working with RISCA.
Please visit our Working with RISCA post for updated information from our team.
What will happen to my grant?
If you or your organization was awarded a grant during our 2020 fiscal year (which includes the grant application deadlines of April 1 and October 1, 2019), we have extended both the program period and the final report due date to December 31, 2020. Please be in touch with your program director via email to inform them of project updates, postponements, or cancellations. We will be as flexible as possible.
What is happening with RISCA’s grants this year?
We don’t know yet – we are waiting on a state budget for the fiscal year that began on July 1, 2020. We are currently postponing opening our fall grant cycle, applications are typically due October 1st. Our April deadline, which was extended to April 15th, has been reviewed by panels and our council – but we can’t notify or award any grants until we have an enacted budget. Stay tuned to our social media, email newsletter, and right here on our website for updates.
Resources for Organizations.
COVID Related Grants and Loans.
- SBA Payroll Protection Program Loans – Information on applying for PPP Loan forgiveness.
- Economic Injury Disaster Loans – Low interest rate loans from the Small Business Administration, nonprofits are eligible.
- Reopening RI– Guidelines and rules in the state of Rhode Island for open/re-opening public spaces.
- Film & TV Office Production Guidelines.
Resources for Artists and Culture Workers.
Relief Funds and COVID Related Grants.
- Artist Relief – $5,000 grants for artists facing dire financial emergencies. Applications reviewed weekly, with the final application deadline of September 23rd. National program.
- Authors League Fund – For career writers facing emergency circumstances. Applications considered on a rolling basis. National program.
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grants – One time $2,000 grants intended to meet the needs of experimental artists who have been impacted by the economic fallout from postponed or canceled performances and exhibitions, application being accepted through the end of 2020. National program.
- Rauschenberg Medical Emergency Grants – One-time grants of up to $5,000 for unexpected medical, dental, and mental health emergencies. Next grant cycle opens September 28th, and closes October 26, 2020. National program.
- CERF+ COVID-19 Relief Grant – $1,000 grants for artists working in craft and/or folk & traditional arts who are experiencing a dire financial emergency as a result of COVID-19 including food, housing, or health insecurities. Applications open through September 9th at 5:00pm. National program.
- Arts and Culture Leaders of Color Emergency Fund – One time micro grants of $200 for US-based BIPOC artists and administrators.
Government Support Programs.
- RI Works – Cash assistance for eligible parents, as well as job resources.
- RI Department of Human Services – Information and application for SNAP (formerly food stamps); Medicaid; and childcare subsidies.
- HEAP Program – support in paying for heating for your home.
- HealthSource RI – Health insurance through the state’s exchange, as well as Medicaid.
- Traditional Unemployment Insurance.
- Unemployment Assistance for Gig Workers.
- Arts & Business Council of Boston – Legal advice for artists and arts organizations, focused on contracts, insurance, and labor and employment issues due to the coronavirus. Let them know RISCA referred you.
- Tech support from RI Commerce – Guides and connection to direct support on various technology aspects including e-commerce and marketing.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance.
- Center for Women and Enterprise – Education, support, and virtual training on a variety of business topics.
- SCORE Rhode Island – Free, confidential business training and mentorship.
Resources for Educators.
- Teaching Theatre Online.
- Resources for Teaching Dance Online.
- Moving Teaching Online Quickly.
- Lesson plans and teaching resources for arts, focused on K-12. Community sourced, being updated and added to.
- Georgia Fine Arts Instructional Resources.
- Google Classroom tutorial in Spanish (on YouTube).
- Overview of state policy responses and other executive actions in public schools across the US.
- Adjusting to a New Normal by EdNote.