The Newport Music Festival (NMF) has played a significant cultural role in Rhode Island since its launch in 1969. In the years since, the Festival has produced more than 2,000 classical chamber music concerts in many of the Preservation Society of Newport County’s renowned Newport Mansions and in various venues throughout Newport. NMF has hosted more than 1,000 artists, including 130 American debuts of artists who have gone on to make musical history.
The last decade has brought a broadening of the Festival’s musical landscape. From Bach to Bernstein to world premieres by established and emerging composers, as well as rare discoveries of forgotten minor masterpieces, the Festival offers something for everyone, even those just looking for a magical experience in one of America’s most beautiful coastal cities.
The May 2017 arrival of Pamela A. Pantos as NMF’s new Executive Director heralds a new era for the organization as it anticipates the celebration of its 50th Anniversary Season in 2018.
The Development Manager will play a key role in executing Newport Music Festival’s institutional strategy to increase contributed income and strengthen its philanthropic base. The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Interim Development Director. The Development Manager will participate in devising and implementing systems and strategies to build NMF’s development program, with a focus on growing contributed revenue and the number of supporters.
The Development Manager will have the opportunity to be involved in a broad range of development activities, expanding his/her knowledge and skills as NMF’s development program grows. He/she will eventually supervise a development assistant, and will work collaboratively with the Marketing & Communications Manager and Public Relations Consultant to ensure consistency of messaging and branding.
- Together with the Executive Director and Interim Director of Development, work to ensure the successful achievement of annual giving goals for all categories of fundraising: Individual, Corporate, Foundation, Government, Special Events, Gifts-In-Kind, and any special campaigns that may occur.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and development consultant to determine a calendar of direct mail and electronic communications; develop processes to segment the constituent database to target current, renewing, lapsed and prospective donors; produce lists and coordinate mailings.
- Manage the gift entry and acknowledgement processes; ensure the accuracy of the development database;
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Manager to prepare all print and online development materials;
- Coordinate the execution of development cultivation events;
- Support the fundraising and cultivation efforts of the Executive Director and Board;
- Generate accurate, up-to-date financial reports to track fundraising results;
- Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of 3 to 5 years fundraising or relevant nonprofit experience. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Well organized and able to handle a variety of tasks and priorities. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and donor database software such as Patron Mail are required. Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment, managing a small development shop. Should possess strong customer service skills and an entrepreneurial spirit, with the ability, enthusiasm, and ambition to grow with the job. Occasional evening and/or weekend work required as well as full engagement during the festival season.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Newport Music Festival offers an attractive salary and benefits, including a health insurance, exceptionally generous vacation and paid time-off, as well as the high quality of life derived from Newport’s beautiful seacoast setting and vibrant cultural environment.
APPLICATION AND INQUIRIES
Send letter and resume, electronic submissions preferred, to:
Ms. Pamela A. Pantos
Newport Music Festival
26 Valley Road, Suite 1-A
Middletown, RI 02842
Newport Music Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer.